Wednesday, September 14, 2016

I see by the papers: a note from Samuel Marchbanks on the rise of cli-fi

Dear Dan,
 
Thank you for your emails and for sharing my article on Twitter.  As an academic, I worry that such a specific generic label as cli-fi may be misunderstood at first by some people. As I’m sure you’re well aware, ‘sci fi’ has often been treated with snobbery and marginalised by academia and the literary establishment. I wouldn’t want this to happen to climate fiction aka cli-fi that deals with climate change and other environmental themes, especially as the best writing usually crosses between genres. 
 
However, I could be wrong. I can also see the value of a short and catchy term like your cli-fi for raising awareness of literary responses to the pressing issue of climate change. At any fate, cli-fi is here to stay, as evidenced by the headlines of the articles all over the internet now.
 
 
 
All the best,
Samuel Marchbanks

===================

FILES: cli-fi.net

 

No comments: